September 22, 1943, the Philippine National Anthem and the National Flag were Declared Official Symbols
The Philippine national anthem and the national flag were declared official symbols by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 211 September 22, 1943.
The Philippine National Anthem was first played officially along with the raising of the national flag on June 12, 1898, when Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo formally proclaimed Philippine Independence from Spain at the central second-story window of his house in Kawit, Cavite.
It was composed by Julian Felipe and played by the San Francisco de Malabon Band. The anthem embodies the struggles and the glory of the Filipino people in search of freedom from foreign domination.
The Spanish lyrics were written by Jose Palma a year later.
The Philippine national flag was Sewn in Hong Kong by Filipino expatriates Marcela Agoncillo, assisted by Lorenza Agoncillo and Delfina Herbosa, and brought to the country by Aguinaldo, the flag was a tri-color featuring red and blue with a white triangle framing three yellow stars symbolizing the three main Philippine island groups of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao, and an anthropomorphic eight-rayed sun, representing the first provinces that rose in arms against Spanish rule in the Philippines (Manila, Cavite, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac, Laguna, and Batangas).